GDPR Audit & Services
GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) will change how businesses in the UK collect and manage data. With GDPR becoming effective from 25th May 2018, it is imperative that businesses act now to ensure that they are compliant.
If your organisation is yet to act, talk to us about a GDPR Audit today.
WHAT IS GDPR?
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a regulation designed to strengthen and unify data protection for all individuals within the European Union, as well as dealing with the export of personal data in the rest of the World. The intention of GDPR is to give more control to individuals over their personal data, as well as simplifying the regulations around international trade by unifying regulations throughout the EU.
GDPR came into force on 25th May 2018, meaning that organisations should now ensure they are compliant with the requirements (view the ICO’s 12 Step guidance to GDPR).
WHAT ARE THE KEY CHANGES?
Individuals have the right to:
• Access their personal data
• Correct errors in their personal data
• Erase their personal data
• Object to processing of their personal data
• Export personal data
Organisations will need to:
• Protect personal data using appropriate security
• Notify authorities of personal data breaches within 72 hours of becoming aware of said breach
• Obtain appropriate consents for processing data
• Keep records detailing data processing
Organisations are required to:
• Provide clear notice of data collection
• Outline processing purposes and use cases
• Define data retention and deletion policies
IT & Training
Organisations will need to:
• Train privacy personnel and employees
• Audit and update data policies
• Employ or assign a Data Protection Office (if required)
• Create and manage compliant vendor contracts.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I DON’T COMPLY?
GDPR non-compliance has far tougher penalties than previously under the Data Protection Act which had a theoretical maximum of £500,000. Organisations in breach of GDPR can expect fines of up to 4% of annual global turnover or €20 million (whichever is greater).
HOW CAN AKITA HELP YOU WITH GDPR?
Akita can advise on the ways in which you can improve your data security:
- GDPR Audit of data access permissions.
- GDPR Email Marketing Campaign.
- Ongoing compliance reviews of your IT systems (as part of IT support).
- Reviewing your disaster recovery plan.
- Improved security, including next-generation firewalls, active threat detection, two factor authentication and more
- User training on how to effectively recognise any dubious emails.
For more details about our GDPR Audit please view our datasheet. For any other IT services relating to GDPR please contact us.Other services Contact us