Warning for XP Users – The End is Nigh!
Microsoft give users’ final warning about XP
Microsoft have adopted a no-nonsense approach to warn XP users that the operating system is soon to be unsupported.
Although Microsoft have been discussing the end of XP for a couple of years, a dialogue box (below) is being used to raise awareness that from April 8th the software will no longer be supported or receive updates.
The warning contains a link which takes users to the Windows XP End of Support website. Here, the advice from Microsoft is to either upgrade your PC to Windows 8.1 or consider buying a new one.
We believe that the approach from Microsoft is likely to confuse and possibly strike fear into some XP users, although clearly XP users need to be aware of the implications. If you are running XP, our advice is:
1. Firstly ensure that your PC has the latest updates and is protected by suitable (and updated) anti-virus software (and ideally anti-spam email filtering).
2. It is likely that the hardware itself is pretty old so a software upgrade is likely to be impractical.
3. Consider replacing the PC with a Windows 8.1 (or Windows 7) machine – contact us today for a quotation!
4. If your PC is used for an application which only runs on XP, there may be an alternative to replacing the machine. Contact us to discuss the options available to you.
5. Whatever you do, don’t panic! Windows XP will still continue to work, but it is important to prioritise replacing these machines as part of your budgetary planning.